Monday 12 June 2017

📷 Setting up your Saramonic SmartRig For your DSLR without Dismantling



     You have probably come to this page because you want to modify your Saramonic SmartRig to fit into your DSLR camera or any input with a standard TRS 3.5mm Jack.
As you probably know already a jack that is supplied with your smartRig is a TRRS 3.5mm type Jack connector and this is used on your smartphone or tablet. The purpose of the trrs connector is that it contains information for headphones as well as microphone which is why is used for your mobile phone when making hands free calls.





TRRS


I have come to realise after purchasing things that I wanted to use the SmartRig in a standard TRS female socket like the one on a H2 or on your DSLR camera so this meant I would either have to disassemble the unit cut all the wires to the existing TRRS connector and rejoin them, this can be seen in many videos on YouTube. I decided I did not want to disassemble the unit as I would still like to be able to use the raid on my mobile phone if for any reason I sound recorder or other input device was unavailable, this would insure them that I had a backup recording a device on me at all times as I always carry my mobile phone.










Splitter or Adaptor Cables


Right then so basically all we need is an adapter cable. Cable required is either a Y splitter cable which will go from a female trrs to two male Jack TRS connectors these would be for headphones and microphone. The other cable would be a trrs female to a trrs male connector this would be for microphone Only.

***************************************

The problem with the rode adaptor is that you cannot monitor Audio as the headphone audio output on the saramonic is a loop through SRRT connector it goes into the recording device Ie mobile phone and back through the connector back to the headphone socket on the rig. 
so using this connector would make you unable to use headphones.







This of course would work fine if you know your levels already and don't need to monitor but I had friends and he wanted to plug directly into your cameras Jack audio input.









After I have done a fair bit of research I decided to go the Y splitter route. This is a splitter y cable that goes from TRRS to 2 TRRS jacks as listed below. Job Done!



A FULL WRITEN AND VIDEO REVIEW CAN BE FOUND HERE OF THE SARAMONIC SMARTRIG




No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts